The Department of JusticeThe Department of Justice is commonly known under the acronym DOJ. The DOJ enforces federal laws and determines penalties for those who disobey those laws. They ensure fair and just administrations based on the United States Constitution. They work closely with each state’s department of consumer affairs and can act as a parent department for those states.

The DOJ enforces many laws, including licensing and permit laws. To help them enforce these laws, the department may require certain surety bonds to be taken out before a license or permit can be issued. These bonds are used to guarantee that all laws and regulations are followed. If they are not, the bond can offer financial compensation for any mishaps that may arise from the wrongdoings of the principal.

Common surety bonds that are required by the Department of Justice include:

California Telephonic Seller Surety Bond

Telephone Corporations, Telemarketers, or Telephonic Sellers may be required to get at least one of the two parts of a California Telephonic Seller Surety Bond. The bond protects consumers from losses and protects them from financial harm and deceit on the part of the bond holder. It also ensures that the bond holder follows all laws and regulations outlined by the California Attorney General and the California Public Utilities Commission. There may be two bonds required, one from the attorney general and one from the Public Utilities Commission. The Attorney General requires a bond of at least $100,000, while the Public Utilities Commission requires a bond of at least $25,000, or 10% of the intrastate revenues of the company.

California Tobacco Manufacturer and Importer Surety Bond

All retailers, wholesalers, distributors, manufacturers, and importers of cigarettes and tobacco must obtain a Seller’s Permit to operate. A California Tobacco Manufacturer and Importer Surety Bond is required to obtain a Seller’s Permit. The bond must be a minimum of $50,000 to guarantee that all applicable sales tax will be paid.

California Registry of Charitable Trusts Surety Bond

If an individual, corporation, or legal entity runs as a Charitable Trust then they are required to register and file an annual financial disclosure report with the Registry of Charitable Trusts. Part of this registration process includes holding a California Registry of Charitable Trusts Surety Bond. This bond must be a minimum of $25,000 and helps guarantee that the trust will allocate the funds in the intended way as the spirit of the charity dictates. Furthermore, the trust will not engage in fraud, misrepresentation, or deceitful acts.

California Seller of Travel Surety Bond

Travel agents, tourism professionals, and any parties that facilitate travel arrangements for consumers must have a California Seller of Travel Surety Bond. This bond protects the consumer from fraud, misrepresentation, or contractual breaches by the travel professional. It further ensures that all laws and regulations outlined in the professional license will be followed. The amount of the bond varies but is described as being “adequate” to cover the sales volume of the company.

California Pawnbroker Surety Bond

Any pawnbroker who wishes to be licensed in the state of California must also hold a California Pawnbroker Surety Bond. The bond helps ensure that the bond holder will follow the laws and regulations of the Business and Professions Code and Financial Code as they relate to pawnbrokers to help protect the clients of the broker. The bond must be for a minimum of $20,000 and must be acquired before a license can be issued to the pawnbroker.

How to Apply for a Surety Bond

Click the button and fill out the form to start the application process. We work with the top markets in the industry to get you a fair rate. People who get surety bonds from Safeline Surety Bond never have to pay the full bond amount. Find out how much we can save you today!